Add Existing Products & New Products
The easiest/most efficient way to add an item is to:
- Add new product
- Copy content from columns C and D from spreadsheet into large content field.
- Cut price and past below in Product data General
- Cut Item number and past below in Product data Inventory SKU
- Add corresponding Product image while you have the number handy.
- Add Product data Attributes from columns F,G,H. If you need to add an extra value, you can do so right from this panel. These panels have a hard-to-find expand and close arrow that you can’t see until you hover over the right side under Expand/Close. SAVE attributes.
- Go back up and tailor description. Copy into Product Name (title) field, shortening as desired to remove clasp and length detail. Copy near bottom into Product Short Description; I added a space in fresh water here for differentiation even though we determined it didn’t matter.
- Upper right, add Categories.
- Normally you would fill out two SEO fields as well, but products don’t have any additional information, and title and URL say it sufficiently.
Sidebars / Widgets
The two pages, About and Farmer’s Market, have custom sidebars defined in Genesis Simple Sidebars and populated in Appearance > Widgets.
The four sections of the home page are within the Appearance > Widgets Front Page 1, 2, and 4, and I chose those based on not having a background image. You’ll never likely have to change 1 & 2 since they are populated elsewhere.
Front Page 2 contains a WooCommerce shortcode populated within Products–those shown with the blue star third column from right. This is an easy way to highlight new products and keep the home page fresh. See below for the link to other possible WooCommerce shortcodes.
There are a couple other handy featuring widgets, Genesis Featured Page or Post, but they do not work with the custom/Products posts within WooCommerce. And since most of your pages are product categories, I don’t think they’ll be useful unless you start blogging and want to display news or events somewhere. When using those widgets in various places, they likely will need some tweaking of the styling as well.
Primary sidebar contains 5 WooCommerce widgets, #2 – #6.
There is a small custom menu placed first in the primary sidebar.
Genesis Connect Addons, last of the tabs, is where the number of products per page is set.
Products, 2nd tab, Display sub-tab, 1st item is where the main shop page is set. The one labeled “shop” in Pages can be deleted.